Seaweed Salad Recipe
There are over 1,500 species of seaweed found in the country, and only 500 of them are edible.
It is bright green in color, and could be described as a type of gelatinous seaweed that tastes similar to Jell-o but a little on the crunchy side like cucumber. Its texture is smooth and looks like a leafless branch. It is commonly sold in markets or peddled along the streets. There is also the red guso which is relatively bigger in size and grows faster than the green variety.
This recipe is not only refreshing and delicious but very healthy as well. The guso contains a high amount of vitamins and minerals, and a good source of protein. It is also fat-free, low in calories and easy to digest. What is there not to like about this dish?
This salad is prepared by first blanching it for a few minutes. The following are then added – onions, tomatoes and ginger to complete this flavorful dish. A dressing made of vinegar and spices are then added. This salad is best eaten as a side dish along with fried fish, lechon (roasted pig), grilled liempo (pork belly) or whatever main dish is on the table. The saltiness of the guso and the acidity of the vinegar cut through the oiliness and fattiness of the meat.
Hope you try this recipe and discover the wonders and flavors of guso. It is guaranteed to make your meal extra special and unforgettable.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4- 5 servings
2 cups guso
1 large onion, chopped
2 pcs tomatoes, seeded and chopped
thumb sized ginger, minced
¼ cup vinegar
salt, sugar and black pepper to taste
1. Cut the guso into serving pieces. Put it in a strainer and clean with water, then drain.
2. Blanch it by soaking it in hot water for a couple of minutes. Drain.
3. Submerge in cold water in ice, then drain thoroughly.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine together the guso, onion, tomatoes and ginger. Toss together.
5. In a separate dish, prepare the dressing by dissolving the sugar, salt and pepper in vinegar. Add into the tossed ingredients and serve immediately.
Seaweed Salad Recipe (Guso Salad)
If you like the recipe you just found, please share it...
Follow us on Social Media
What's your thought about this recipe? Share it!