One of the popular dishes that use curry is Chicken Curry. This popular dish is not only known in Asia but in the Caribbean as well. The Indian version uses curry powder while the Thais use curry paste. The main ingredients are chicken and curry, which is usually in powder form. Several spices are mixed with the curry to create a thick and rich sauce to enhance the chicken.
Our version combines it with coconut milk, bell peppers and potatoes. It is like a creamy stew with the curry flavor on the mild side. The coconut milk balances off the spiciness of the curry. The local dish that closely resembles this is the Ginataang Manok (Chicken Stewed in Coconut Milk) because they both cook the chicken in coconut milk.
Why don’t you give this recipe a try and taste the difference? You might just like the Filipino version.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
1 lb chicken
2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 stalks celery, cut into 1 1/2” long
1 small red bell pepper, cubed
1 small green bell pepper, cubed
1 thumb ginger, cut into thin strips
1 cup coconut milk
1 large onion, quartered
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp curry powder
1 cup water
1 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
1. Heat up a pan and add the oil. Fry the potatoes for about 2 minutes. Set them aside.
2. Cut the chicken into serving sizes. Using the same pan, stir fry the chicken pieces until they turn brown. Add the ginger, onion and garlic until they become soft.
3. Pour in the patis, and then add the curry powder. Season with salt and pepper. Add water and let it boil.
4. Lower the heat and add the vegetables. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Make sure the vegetables are tender.
5. Pour the coconut milk and mix together. You can substitute coconut milk with evaporated milk. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes or lower when using the evaporated milk.
6. Transfer to a serving plate and serve hot with rice.
Chicken Curry Filipino Recipe
Here's a Video on
How to Cook Filipino Chicken Curry
If you like the recipe you just found, please share it...
Follow us on Social Media
What's your thought about this recipe? Share it!