How about enjoying Bulalo Beef Stew Recipe meal with rice?
On a cold and dreary day, the best way to lift your spirits and brighten your mood is to have a hearty bowl of soup. How about making soup recipe? And if you love beef soups, then you better try the Philippines’ very famous soup. This dish which originated in the southern part of Luzon is made of beef shank with the bone marrow still in it.
A little word of warning though, this soup takes a longer time in cooking because it has to be simmered for over an hour to extract its delicious flavor. The long cooking process also breaks down the fat and collagen so that they are integrated in the broth.
In my family, having 5 brothers and 2 sisters. My mom always use to make this because honestly it can serve the entire family! Mommy use to make them on Sundays. This recipe was actually from my Mom's side in Negros Occidental.
To add flavor and richness, a slew of vegetables and seasonings are also combined like corn, baby bok choy, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, green beans, sayote, patis (fish sauce), bay leaves, etc. Do not be discouraged with the long cooking time though, because you can use the pressure cooker to tenderize the meat, and thus cutting the cooking time significantly.
Bulalo is served in restaurants and eateries all over the country. You don’t have to go to any of these places because you can easily make it right in your own home any time of the year. It doesn’t have to be enjoyed only on cold and dreary days. You can also have this filling and sumptuous soup on warm days and nights. It only takes a little patience before you can taste this one-of-a-kind soup. Hope you enjoy this Bulalo beef stew recipe.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 2 ½ hours
Yield: 4 servings
Other useful links we visit:
1 kilo beef shank
1 onion, sliced
½ head cabbage, leaves detached and quartered
3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 ears of corn, cut into 3 parts
2 tbsp peppercorn
4 cups water
2 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
1. Put the beef shank in a large cooking pot. Add the water, onion and peppercorn. Bring to a boil and remove the impurities as they rise to the top.
2. Lower the heat and allow it to simmer for about 2 hours or until the meat is fork-tender. The longer you cook it, the more flavorful the broth will become. If you are using a pressure cooker, cook for about an hour.
3. Add the potatoes and corn and simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Add the cabbage and patis and cook for about 3 minutes.
5. Transfer to serving bowls and serve hot with rice.
If you like the recipe you just found, please share it...
Follow us on Social Media
You might like our other Beef Filipino Recipes .....