Eating raw fish has gotten popular around the globe so a dish called ceviche is created.
Ceviche is kind of like a seafood salad where the main ingredient is raw and cooked by marinating in a sour agent like vinegar or lime juice. There are many versions for this dish, like here in the Philippines where we called it Kilawin in Ilocano or Kinilaw in Visayas and it actually refers to the marinating process. It can be done to meat and fish like tanigue or Spanish mackerel in English. First we use vinegar to cook raw fish, after that citrus like lime or calamondin juice is added plus different spices like garlic, ginger and onions were traditionally used. Nowadays, extra ingredients like tomatoes and bell peppers are added too. Of course we don’t forget to use chili for added spice and coconut cream to make it creamier with a hint of sweetness. And unlike ceviche in other countries where it is serve as an appetizer, this kilawing tanigue is served as a meal with rice. Is low in fat and sodium, definitely perfect for a hot day so don’t hesitate to give it a try.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Preparation and cooking time: 150 minutes
• Spanish mackerel fish fillet (tanigue) - 1 lb (skinned and sliced into bite size pieces)
• Coconut cream – 1 cup
• Garlic – 8 cloves (minced)
• White vinegar – 1 cup
• Lime juice – 6 tbsps
• Tomato – 4 pcs (diced)
• Onion – 3 pcs (minced)
• Ginger root – 1 knob (minced)
• Red bell pepper – 1 pc (diced)
• Green bell pepper – 1 pc (diced)
• Chili pepper – 1 pc (chopped, optional)
• Spring onion – 3 stalks (finely chopped)
• Salt – to taste
• Pepper – to taste
1. Clean Spanish mackerel fillet with water and remove skin and bones if there’re any left. Slice fish into bite size pieces.
2. Transfer in a bowl, then sprinkle some salt and pepper. Stir well.
3. Add vinegar and stir. This will remove any fishy odor from the fish and serve as the marinade.
4. Marinate the Spanish mackerel in the refrigerator for 50 minutes to 2 hours, then it’s ready for the next step.
5. Drain vinegar and add the lime juice, mix well.
6. Add the garlic, tomato, onion, and ginger root, red and green bell peppers and mix well.
7. Add chili pepper and chill for about 20 minutes then it’s ready for the last step.
8. Add coconut cream, stir and serve cold.
9. Share and enjoy eating.
Always make sure that the fish you choose is always fresh because it makes all the difference in taste.
If you like the recipe you just found, please share it...
Follow us on Social Media