Fried Calamari Recipe
With squid as the main ingredient, this Fried Calamari recipe is prepared by dipping the squid rings in flour, egg and breadcrumbs, and then deep fried for a couple of minutes. Overcooking it will make them tough. There are different dipping sauces that go with this dish, like marinara, mayonnaise, catsup, tartar sauce or tomato-based sauces. In the Philippines, it is commonly served with spicy vinegar or calamansi (local lemon) and soy sauce mixture.
Because it is eaten as a finger food, it is often served as an appetizer or as a side dish. The Calamares is also a common sight along the streets in the Philippines. It is a popular street food and is priced affordably. It is also a common pulutan or beer food. It goes best with ice cold beer.
This Fried Calamari recipe is very easy to prepare that even a novice cook can surely make this like a pro. If you cannot find fresh squid, the pre-packaged frozen ones sold in supermarkets will taste just as good. Hope you enjoy this recipe and make this a staple in your dinner tables.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Yield: 5-6 servings
1 kilo squid, cleaned and cut into rings
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups cooking oil for frying
1. Put the squid in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and then mix thoroughly. Allow it to stand for about 15 minutes.
2. Place the flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs in 3 separate containers.
3. First, cover the squid in flour, and then soak in the beaten eggs. Finally, roll it in the breadcrumbs.
4. Heat the cooking oil in a wok or pan. Fry the squid rings a few pieces at a time until they turn brown. Deep fry for about 2 minutes and avoid overcooking.
5. Transfer the squid to a serving platter lined with paper towel to drain the excess oil.
6. Serve right away with your favorite dipping sauce.
Fried Calamari Recipe (Calamares)
If you like the recipe you just found, please share it...
Follow us on Social Media
What's your thought about this recipe? Share it!