Crabs with Salt and Pepper is a dish that is popular in Vietnam; they call it Cua Rang Muoi which means salted crabs.
It is made with deep-fried Crab toast in a different aromas and spices.
This dish is simple but incredibly delicious. It is served with rice.
Crabs with Salt and Pepper Filipino Recipe
2 pieces crab, approximately 2 pounds
2 tbsp shallot, minced
1/2 cup cornstarch
Spring onions (white part only), chopped
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 pieces red chili pepper
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 tsp ginger, cut into strips
1 tsp salt or more if needed
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Garlic oil, for deep frying, recipe follows
Reserved crab juice
1/2 cup cauliflower
1. Place the crab in a bowl with iced water or put in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes.
2. Discard or pull back off the large upper back shell of the crab, reserve the crab juice, remove the featherlike gills, divide the crab body in 4 pieces, break the legs, cut from the joint and crack to easily remove the meat.
3. Pour 1/2 cup of cornstarch in a mixing bowl; lightly toss the crab to coat.
4. In a large skillet, heat the oil over a medium high heat, deep fry the crab until golden brown for about 4 to 5 minutes, transfer the crab in large plate and drain in a kitchen towel to remove any excess oil.
5. Remove the oil from the pan, Add the vegetable oil, shallots, garlic, ginger strips, red chili pepper and spring onions. Sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the crab juice .Bring back the crab to the pan.
6. Combine brown sugar, salt and freshly ground black pepper and the curry powder, stir the mixture to the crab. Stirring constantly until all the flavors are well incorporated. Add the cilantro.
7. Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve.
1 bulb garlic, peeled and smashed
1 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
In a sauce pan, Heat the olive oil over a low heat, add the garlic and let it cook for about 15 minutes until lightly brown. Remove from the heat and let it cool for about 30 minute’s .Transfer in an oil bottle or in a airtight container.
If you like the recipe you just found, please share it...
Follow us on Social Media
What's your thought about this recipe? Share it!