CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE RICE JAMBALAYA
This dish is nearly similar to paella and risotto which is made up of meat, vegetables, rice and stock. It is a Louisiana Creole dish of Spanish and French influence.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings
Chicken and Sausage Rice Jambalaya
1 cup long-grain white rice
2 cups chicken stock
2tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 pieces boneless chicken breast
1 /4 cup red bell pepper, roasted, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
2 tbsp celery, roughly chopped
1 cup tomato puree
1/4 cup green peas
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lbs smoked sausage such as chorizo
2 tbsp Oyster sauce
2 tbsp spring onions, (white part only), chopped
1 tbsp Creole seasoning
Salt and pepper, as needed
For the annatto oil
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tbsp annatto seeds
1. For the annatto oil, heat 1 cup vegetable oil in a saucepan over a medium high heat, add annatto seeds, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the oil turns red-orange. Let it cool and then strain to remove the seeds.
2. Season the boneless chicken with salt and pepper. In a large pan, add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and add the chicken. Cook the chicken for about 3-4 minutes per sides. Let it rest and cut the chicken into Strips.
3. Cut the sausages into 1/4 inch slice. Melt the butter with 2 tbsp of annatto oil in a large wok over a medium high heat, add the sliced sausages and cook until tender.
4. Sauté the onion and cook until translucent. Add the garlic, celery, tomato puree, roasted red bell pepper and bay leaf, stirring frequently for about 3 minutes. Add the oyster sauce.
5. Stir in the rice and cook for another 1 minute. Add the stock and bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the rice becomes tender. Add the Creole seasoning.
6. When the rice is tender, add the chicken, green bell pepper and let it cook for 2 minutes. Gently stir in the green peas. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with chopped spring onions.
If you like the recipe you just found, please share it...
Follow us on Social Media
What's your thought about this recipe? Share it!