This sweet and delicious dessert is very similar to the Fruit Salad in terms of the preparation, texture and some of the ingredients used. The main difference is that the buko is the main or dominant ingredient in this dessert, which is cut in strips. Various fruits, either canned or fresh, are combined with heavy or table cream and condensed milk. As you can see, this treat is really super sweet and a delight for those with sweet tooth out there.
What makes the buko the star of this recipe is its distinct flavor and softness, and a little crunchiness that it gives even when it is combined with the other ingredients. Variations include the addition of other ingredients like apples, cheese, peanuts, nata de coco (feremented coconut water), etc. It is chilled for a couple of hours before it is served to blend all the ingredients together and to bring out the flavor.
This recipe is quick to prepare and very simple, and the ingredients are not hard to find. In every party, town fiestas and celebrations, there is bound to be a bowl of Buko Salad to everyone’s delight. Christmas and New Year’s celebrations are also incomplete without some kind of salad.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Yield: 6 servings
3 cups buko strips
1 can (15 oz) fruit cocktail
1 can (8 oz) pineapple chunks
1 can (10 oz) condensed milk
1 small can Nestle cream
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 jar nata de coco
1. With a strainer, drain all the juices out of the fruit cocktail and pineapple chunks for about 2 hours.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the buko strips, nata de coco, fruit cocktail and pineapple chunks. Toss gently.
3. Add the condensed milk and cream. Blend well to ensure that all ingredients are evenly distributed. Add the grated cheddar cheese.
4. Cover and leave in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
5. Transfer to individual salad bowls or to a large serving bowl.
Buko Salad (Young Coconut Salad)
If you like the recipe you just found, please share it...
Follow us on Social Media
BROWSE MORE FILIPINO RECIPES
Watch our latest cooking videos on YouTube!
Ginisang Monggo with Gata